• DK
  • GB
 

History of Broholm Castle - In short

When the staircase tower, connecting all floors, entrance into the hall and be greeted by none other than the Fourth Christian sentiment is immediately set.
When the staircase tower, connecting all floors, entrance into the hall and be greeted by none other than the Fourth Christian sentiment is immediately set.

Broholm's history is known with certainty from 1326, when Esbern Snares great grandson, Absalom Johnsen of Ulfeldt genus, was lord of Broholm. His descendants kept it until 1473. After several generations of Ulfeldt genus had inhabited the castle, including the Count's Feud, also known as Denmark's last civil war (1533-36), where many old castles were razed to the ground, but where Broholm, thanks to its wide moats is spared, buys Otte Skeel estate in 1641.

It is the only time Broholm have been traded, and with him ends Broholm medieval era. He dismantling the dilapidated castle and enter the current main building as one of its last late Gothic buildings, with strong renaissance drag from the turret and symmetrical window placement.

In 1730 Niels Sehested got married to Elisabeth Skeel and that's how the Sehested family came to Broholm Castle.

In the mid–1800, the bulding where the restaurant is located was built to replace a half-timbered house
The corner tower was built in 1839-40 for astronomical observations. At the same time the houses got jagged gables. Niels Frederik Bernhard Sehested took over Broholm in 1839. In 1833 he had witnessed the discovery of the Broholm treasure, the second largest Danish gold treasure from the Iron Age. From there on his interest in archeology was started. In 1878, the current museum building was built according to his own drawings to showcase his collection of over 60.000 flint pieces and other finds from Broholm’s lands.

In 1905, the last building, where the library is located, was build. In June 1952, the then horse stable, cowshed and barn burned down. It was three floors. On the ground floor were the horse stable, cowshed and the barn, on the first floor hay and straw were stored for the horses and on the second floor there was a granary. It was built in red bricks with a thatched roof. Today, only the walls of the ground floor remains.

In 2002, the caslte underwent an extensive restoration and became available to guests. Today, Broholm Castle is owned by Anders Sehested, the family’s 13th generation. The castle is leased by Kenneth Birler and is run as a Hotel and Restaurant.

The owners of Broholm Castle

The owners of the Broholm, we know today. It Broholm as Otte Skeel and Ide Lunge was constructed after the demolition of the old medieval castle, which could be traced back to 1300 and for many years was in the genus Ulfeldt ownership.

(1326-1356) Absalon Jonsen Ulfeldt
(1356-1443) The genus Ulfeldt
(1443-1473) Maren Ulfeldt
(1473-1502) Johan Fikkesen
(1502-1536) Ellen Ulfeldt married (1) Fikkesen (2) von Mehlen
(1536-1556) Axel Fikkesen
(1556-1576) Palle von Mehlen
(1576-1609) Hans von Mehlen
(1609-1611) Emerentze von Baden married (1) von Mehlen (2) Brockenhuus
(1611-1641) Claus Brockenhuus
(1641-1644) Otte Skeel
(1644-1650) Ida Lunge gift Skeel
(1650-1670) Jørgen Skeel
(1670-1690) Jørgen Skeel
(1690-1710) Albert Skeel
(1710-1730) Mogens Skeel
(1730) Elisabeth Skeel married (1) Sehested (2) Wessel
(1730-1745) Niels Sehested
(1745-1747) Elisabeth Skeel married (1) Sehested (2) Wessel
(1747-1752) Caspar von Wessel
(1752-1799) Anders Sehested
(1799-1811) Wibeke Marie von Pultz married Sehested
(1811-1819) Anders Sehested
(1819-1839) Edel Marie Kjær married Sehested
(1839-1882) Niels Frederik Bernhard Sehested
(1882-1894) Charlotte Christine Linde married Sehested
(1894-1924) Hannibal Sehested
(1924-1977) Jørgen Sehested
(1977-2000) Birgitte Sehested married Grice
(2000-2005) Anders Sehested / Birgitte Sehested married Grice
(2005-2017) Anders Sehested / Anne Elisabeth Grice married Lütken
(2017-) Anders Sehested